By now, you’ve probably heard of a Chromebook. But most potential buyers wonder: Is a Chromebook the best Notebook purchase for you?
Chromebook Pros and Cons
- Chromebooks start at $199 with a 300GB hard disk, 100GB cloud storage and 4-6 hour battery life. The low price is one strong advantage when buying a Chromebook.
- Fast Boot up – Chromebooks start in just 10-20 seconds.
- Connect Anywhere – Chromebooks have built in dual band Wifi which means you can connect to the Internet anywhere, even on air flights! Google provides 12 free Gogo Inflight passes. Simply connect to the “gogoinflight” WiFi network on any Gogo operated flight within the US to surf the Internet.
- Chromebooks store all photos, videos and documents in Google Drive, so owners always have peace of mind their data is backed up safely.
- Google provides multiple layers of protection so you don’t have to worry about viruses and malware harming your personal documents.
- Chromebooks are easy to maintain because there is no need to update software manually. All updates are performed in the background automatically by the Chromebook.
- Only Google’s Chrome browser is supported, which means Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers wont work. Chromebooks only support Google products and applications.
- Wi-Fi and 3G carrier networks must be used for Internet connectivity. Wired ethernet isn’t yet supported.
- Chromebooks play online games downloaded from Google’s Play Store. All-time favourite PC games such as Minecraft and World of Warcraft are not available.
- One Time Sign In – Only one Google account is able to sign in to a Chromebook. After sign in your device is locked to that particular Google account, so you can’t sign out and use a friend or family members Google account afterwards. The only way to use another Google account is resetting the Chromebook which clears all profile settings.
- Media files like MP3, MP4 & WMP are unable to be played. The Chrome OS does not recognize these music and video file formats.
The major selling point of Chrome OS (the operating system that all Chromebooks use) is that it’s based around web applications from Google. This means that the majority of information is stored in the cloud, making Chromebooks lightning fast.
If you are looking for a small computer to shop online, check emails and keep in touch with friends a Chromebook would be an ideal purchase.