As much as we love our Chromebook for most owners its only natural to want better performance. By following the steps below any owner can make their Chromebook performance feel like new, or even better!
First step to improving your Chromebooks speed is to change the update channel from Stable to Beta or even Dev (although I would not recommend Dev, the updates often contain bugs that effect battery life and browser stability). By changing your Chromebook channel to Beta, ChromeOS will download updates still classed as in development cycle. Stable mode does not have these updates released yet because the Google programmers have not finished testing the code. Personally I’ve found Beta mode very safe and haven’t encountered any issues.
- Stable Channel: This channel has gotten the full testing and blessing of the Chrome test team, and is the best bet to avoid crashes and other issues. It’s updated roughly every two-three weeks for minor releases, and every six weeks for major releases.
- Beta Channel: If you are interested in seeing what’s next, with minimal risk, Beta channel is the place to be. It’s updated every week roughly, with major updates coming every six weeks, more than a month before the Stable channel will get them.
- Dev Channel: The Dev channel gets updated once or twice weekly. While this build does get tested, it is still subjected to bugs, so be careful.
How to change your Chromebook channel
- Type the following URL into browser: chrome://help
- Click “more info” underneath “Check for and apply updates”
- Click change channel and change it to Beta.
If you are interested in the new updates which Dev or Beta has recently been released: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/
How to fix Chromebook Omnibar lag issue
- Type the following URL into browser: chrome://flags
- CTRL + F and search for: harfbuzz
- Click Enable
chrome://flags This is where your Chrome preferences are saved. Personally I would recommend enabling fast tab/window close.
If you have any suggestions to improve Chromebook performance please leave them in the comments below.